CUT, TEXAS. Cut, a farming community on State Highway 19 six miles south of Crockett in south central Houston County, was established in 1872 as a watering stop on the Houston and Great Northern Railroad. The settlement was originally known as Paso or Paso Switch, but its name was changed to Cut around 1900. A Cut post office operated from 1903 to 1918. At its height around 1914 the settlement had a sawmill, two general stores, and an estimated population of fifty. The community began to decline during the 1920s, and by the mid-1930s only a store and a few houses remained. After World War II most of its residents moved away. By the early 1990s Cut was abandoned.
Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CUT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcay), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.