CATON, TEXAS. Caton is four miles southwest of Bagwell in southern Red River County. Although settlement in the area began much earlier, apparently a community did not emerge until the mid-1880s. In 1888 a post office was opened for a few months, and the settlement was called Catonville. When the post office was reestablished in 1892 the name was shortened to Caton. In 1896 the community had two churches, a doctor, and a music teacher. The post office was closed in 1905, and by 1984 only a few widely scattered houses and Catonville Cemetery remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CATON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcbq), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.