COTTONWOOD, TX (WOOD COUNTY)
COTTONWOOD, TEXAS (Wood County). Cottonwood, on Farm Road 779 three miles northwest of Golden in southwestern Wood County, was probably named for nearby Cottonwood Creek. It was originally located a mile southeast of its present site, and in the 1970s the Cottonwood cemetery still marked the community's original site. In 1884 a Cottonwood school district was established, and by 1896 it served twenty-seven students. By 1905 it served fifty-nine students. In the 1930s the community consisted of a number of farms concentrated along country roads, two businesses, and a school that in 1932 had seventy students in eight grades. Though the school and businesses no longer appeared on maps for 1959, the Cottonwood church and widely scattered dwellings were still in the area. Maps for the late 1980s showed a business about half a mile from the church.
Adele W. Vickery and Ida Marie Turner, comps., Cemeteries of Wood County (3 vols., Mineola, Texas, 1970–71).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "COTTONWOOD, TX (WOOD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcdc), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.