CORWIN, TEXAS. Corwin, near the Colorado River twenty-two miles southeast of Burnet in southeastern Burnet County, was settled in the mid-1850s. A post office was established there in 1870, with Thomas T. Word as postmaster. It was discontinued in 1882 but reestablished in 1884. That year Corwin had a district school, a steam gristmill and cotton gin, three churches, and seventy-five residents; cotton and wool were the principal shipments from the area. By 1896, however, the community's population had dropped to twenty. The post office was discontinued in 1899, and mail for the community was sent to Double Horn. Area children attended the Lewis School, which opened in 1888; it operated until 1913, after which time students attended the school at Spicewood. The community was not shown on the 1948 county highway map.
Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CORWIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcee), accessed November 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles