CROSS ROADS, TX (RUSK COUNTY)
CROSS ROADS, TEXAS (Rusk County). Cross Roads is a small farming community located off Farm roads 1249 and 2276 about twelve miles north of Henderson in northern Rusk County. A one-room structure known as "Old Shanghai" was used as a school and Methodist church in the area as early as the 1840s. Pioneers included the Adams, Hale, Hicks, Herrins, Monton, and Robertson families. The Cross Roads settlement, probably so named for its strategic location along the byways, became a stop on a Methodist circuit in the 1870s. James Edward Adams and his wife donated land for a new location for the Cross Roads Methodist Church in 1895, and a new building was constructed in 1920. In the 1930s the community, located in the vicinity of Bacon Creek, consisted of the church, a school, homes, and a cemetery in the area. The Cross Roads Grocery and Feed Store operated in the mid-1900s. Cross Roads Methodist Church continued to serve a small congregation by the twenty-first century. No population estimates were available for the rural community.
Rusk County History (Henderson: Rusk County Historical Commission, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "CROSS ROADS, TX (RUSK COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcff), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles