COVE SPRINGS, TX
COVE SPRINGS, TEXAS. Cove Springs, off U.S. Highway 175 some eighteen miles northwest of Rusk in northwestern Cherokee County, was first settled in the 1850s. It was named for a spring on the old Neches Saline Road, a frequent stopping point for travelers. A local school was in operation by 1896, when it had an enrollment of twenty-three. A Methodist church was organized at the community before 1900, and the Cove Springs Baptist Church was established in 1932. At its height on the eve of World War II Cove Springs had two churches, several businesses, and a number of houses. After the war many residents left the area, but in the early 1990s two churches and a few businesses still remained. The population was forty in 2000.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "COVE SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcfy), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.