COPITA, TEXAS. Copita was eight miles southeast of Concepcion and twenty miles southeast of Benavides in southeastern Duval County. It had a general store by 1910, when it was described as a development of "farm and garden tracts." The population was estimated optimistically at "sixty total now" with "others coming in rapidly." A post office was established in 1911 with Edwin M. Flickinger as postmaster. By 1914, when the population was somewhat more realistically estimated at forty-five, Copita had a general store, a cotton gin, a well driller, and a hotel. The post office was closed in 1922, and by the late 1940s the town was down to only one business. By the late 1960s the Copita school had been consolidated with the Ramirez Independent School District, and the town had scattered dwellings, the Iglesia Adventista del Septima Dia (Seventh-day Adventist church), and a cemetery. By 1990 only the Copita cemetery was shown on maps of the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "COPITA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrchg), accessed October 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.