CONCORD, TX (ANGELINA COUNTY)
CONCORD, TEXAS (Angelina County). Concord was seven miles east of Zavalla in eastern Angelina County. The area was first settled by Col. T. L. Mott and his family, who moved to Texas from Alabama in the late 1850s. Around 1860 the Motts and several other families established a church, which they named Concord after a reference in the Bible's second book of Corinthians. The church and a school established at the community by 1900 continued to operate until the 1960s, when the area was inundated by newly built Sam Rayburn Reservoir. The church and the Mott family cemetery were moved to Zavalla, and the school was merged with the Zavalla school district. The original log cabin and corn crib of the Mott family were purchased by Mrs. Bennie Polk Morgan of Jasper, who moved them to a site in Jasper County.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CONCORD, TX (ANGELINA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcht), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.