CROSSVILLE, TEXAS. Crossville, four or five miles east of Copperas Cove on the Coryell-Bell county line, was named for early Bell County settler James M. Cross. Families began moving into the area before the Civil War. A post office opened there in 1872 with Martin W. Warren as postmaster, but closed in 1881. In 1880 the community had a population of forty. The townsite and area farms and ranches were absorbed by Camp Hood (see FORT HOOD) in the early 1940s, and most Crossville residents relocated in Copperas Cove.
Jerry K. Smith and Patrick D. McLaughlin, Copperas Cove, City of Five Hills: A Centennial History (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CROSSVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcln), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.