CHEROKEE VILLAGE, TX
CHEROKEE VILLAGE, TEXAS. Cherokee Village, on Caney Creek halfway between Kilgore and Henderson in northern Rusk County, was a Cherokee Indian settlement at the time of the arrival in the area of the first white settlers. The site was identified on maps in the late 1830s and may have been the "Village of Chief Bowles" where the 1836 treaty with the Cherokees was signed. The settlement later disappeared, and no trace of it remains.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989). Albert Woldert, "The Last of the Cherokees in Texas and the Life and Death of Chief Bowles," Chronicles of Oklahoma 1 (June 1923).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CHEROKEE VILLAGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcxw), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.