DALTON, TEXAS. Dalton is a lumbering and farming community 3½ miles northwest of Marietta on State Highway 77 in northwestern Cass County. The community, formed in the period following the Civil War, received a post office in 1875 and reached its peak around 1884, when it had three saw and flour mills, six churches, at least two schools, and a population of 200. Its post office was closed in 1887, then operated from 1897 until 1905, when it closed permanently. By 1940 a church, cemetery, and school were at the site; by 1983 only the church and cemetery remained there. The community still existed in 1990. In 2000 the population was fifty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "DALTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd03), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.