DOYLE, TEXAS. Doyle, five miles northeast of Groesbeck in east central Limestone County, was known as Shady Grove when the Houston and Texas Central Railway established the town in 1871; when the post office opened in 1903, it was renamed Doyle, in honor of William Elliott Doyle, a former mayor of Mexia. In 1914 the community had a grocery store and a general store. The post office was discontinued in 1923, and mail for Doyle residents was sent to Groesbeck. County highway maps in the late 1940s showed a church, a business, and a number of residences at the site. Doyle reported a population of ten in 1990. The population grew to fifty by 2000.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986). Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.