DULIN, TEXAS. Dulin was just off U.S. Highway 377 some two miles southeast of Brookesmith in Brown County. The farming and ranching community was named for Thomas S. Dulin, a teacher who served in the Civil War in Gager's Mounted Battalion. After Dulin received his discharge, he resumed teaching and married a schoolteacher. The couple purchased land, reportedly totaling twenty sections, and settled in the Clear Creek area. The first Dulin postmaster was Joseph J. Boyd, who was appointed in 1896. The Dulin post office was discontinued in 1903, when mail was rerouted through Brookesmith. Students attended a local school during the 1930s, but the school seems to have been consolidated, since the school board offered to sell the site on March 9, 1948. In the 1940s Dulin had two businesses and a population of fifty. Though no population figures are available after that time, the community continued to be shown on maps in 2000.
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.