DOUGLAS CHAPEL, TX
DOUGLAS CHAPEL, TEXAS. Douglas Chapel is just east of State Highway 43 and ten miles east of Jefferson in eastern Marion County. The Douglas Chapel school had twenty-six black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse that accommodated twenty-seven black elementary students. The school was consolidated with the Jefferson schools by 1955, and in 1962 all that remained at the community site was a church, which was still identified on state highway maps in 1983.
Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "DOUGLAS CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd54), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.