DIXIE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
DIXIE, TEXAS (Smith County). Dixie is off State Highway 64 just west of Tyler in central Smith County. The settlement had been established by 1906, when William C. Stallings of Dixie became the first county agent in Texas. In 1923 the Dixie Independent School District was established when the Black Fork, Pleasant Retreat, and Enterprise schools were consolidated. From 1928, after their building burned down, until 1930, members of the Pleasant Retreat Methodist Church held services in the school auditorium. They completed a new structure adjoining the Dixie school in 1930, and the two communities shared the facilities. In 1936 the school had twelve teachers and 381 students. It offered classes for all twelve grades. While records also showed that 139 black children lived in the district, they were not enrolled. Dixie also had a church, a cemetery, two businesses, and a large cluster of dwellings.
In 1941 local residents established the Dixie (Southern) Baptist Church, and the following year they completed the church auditorium. In 1952 local students still attended the Dixie school. In 1966 the community had several dwellings and Beaird Cemetery, but the school had been consolidated with the Tyler district. Dayspring Preschool, sponsored by the Youth-Win-A-Mission organization, opened in the old Dixie Elementary facilities in April 1979. The following year the mission society established Christian Heritage School, also on the former school grounds. In 1981 Dixie had two businesses, Beaird Cemetery, Dixie School, and a residential area.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "Pleasant Retreat Methodist Church," Chronicles of Smith County, Summer 1974. "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983).