EDGEWORTH, TEXAS. Edgeworth is on South Elm Creek and Farm Road 2184, fourteen miles southeast of Temple near the Milam county line in southeastern Bell County. Frank Slovak and his wife established a general store that was later purchased by Otto Gavenda. A post office was established there in 1894, and in 1896 the community included a Baptist church, a drugstore, a doctor, and a blacksmith shop owned and operated by Joe Batla. A cotton gin built by Ben Bigler was later sold to Paul Matyastik. A saloon owned and operated by Henry Jakubik went out of business during prohibition. The post office closed in 1904, and the population had declined to ten by 1933. In 1947 the community had revived somewhat and had two businesses and sixty inhabitants, but it had lost its business establishments and had declined to twenty inhabitants by 1964. In 2000 the population was still estimated at twenty, and by 2015 became a "ghost town" with a dwindling population of fifteen.
Rose Machalek Gavenda, "Personal Notes," September 5, 1977, original in possession of David Gavenda, University of Texas, Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on February 12, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.