ELMATON, TEXAS. Elmaton is at the junction of Farm Road 1095 and the Missouri Pacific Railroad, twelve miles southwest of Bay City in western Matagorda County. By 1915 it had its own post office, which was still listed in 1929. In 1934 Elmaton became a stop on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway, which in 1956 became the Missouri Pacific. In 1936 the community had two businesses, a factory, twenty widely scattered dwellings, and a reported population of 150. From 1939 until 1943 Elmaton had seven businesses and a population of 150. By 1949 it had become part of the Tidehaven Independent School District in Tres Palacios. In 1988 and 1990 an estimated population of 165 was reported in Elmaton, but no businesses were registered. In 2000 the population was 140.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "ELMATON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre21), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.