FAIRMOUNT, TEXAS. Fairmount is on State Highway 87 in the Sabine National Forest twelve miles southeast of Hemphill in southeastern Sabine County. The community received a post office in 1854 and by 1884 had a population estimated at seventy and a gristmill, cotton gin, district school, blacksmith shop, and general store. In 1896 its one-teacher, one-room school had thirty-one pupils. By the 1920s Fairmount had ten residents and one rated business. Its post office closed in the late 1940s, when the county highway map showed a school and eleven dwellings at the site. The community was listed in 1990, but without population statistics. In 2000 the population was forty-five.