FOREST HOME, TX
FOREST HOME, TEXAS. Forest Home is on a soil-surfaced road 1½ miles north of Farm Road 515 and four miles west of Winnsboro in northern Wood County. In 1859 John R. Wright traveled from South Carolina and settled in the area; he donated an acre of land for a community project, probably a school. Locals established a Forest Home school district in 1884, and in 1896 it served forty-seven students. By 1905 it served sixty-two. During the 1930s the community had a number of farms, a church, and a school, which in 1932 had forty-three students in eight grades. By the late 1940s the school was gone, and in 1960 the Forest Home church served widely scattered farms in the area. Though Forest Home is not labeled on the 1988 county highway map, a church is still shown at the site.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "FOREST HOME, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf48), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles