FAIRVIEW, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
FAIRVIEW, TEXAS (Smith County). Fairview was on State Highway 110 a mile west of Mount Sylvan, Texas, in western Smith County. In 1936 there were a few farms in the area, and the Fairview School, a black elementary school with two teachers, had ninety students. By 1952 the school had been consolidated with the Dixie Independent School District. But the community continued to grow and by 1966 had two churches and a scattered collection of dwellings. Maps for 1973 showed a church, a business, and about thirty dwellings there. In 1981 the community was not shown on Smith County maps.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "FAIRVIEW, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf54), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.