FRIO WATER HOLE, TX
FRIO WATER HOLE, TEXAS. Frio Water Hole was on the Frio River forty-nine miles northwest of Bandera in what is now Real County. The community was reportedly named for a water source used by Indians and by the Texas Rangers. The water hole, near the headwaters of the Frio River, was supposedly on the route traveled in August 1862 by a group of Union sympathizers attempting to reach Mexico; they were caught by Confederate pursuers a few days later, and the Battle of Nuecesqv ensued. A post office was established at Frio Water Hole in 1879, when Real was still part of Bandera County. In 1884 Frio Water Hole had thirty-five residents, and the principal shipments from the area were livestock and wool. The community post office was discontinued in 1888, and mail for area residents was sent to Medina.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "FRIO WATER HOLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrfpp), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.