GILL, TEXAS. Gill is on U.S. Highway 59 some ten miles south of Marshall in south central Harrison County. According to one source the community was called Terrapin Neck until about 1894, when L. H. Stephens petitioned for a post office and found that a shorter name was required. He chose the name Gill, after a ferry boatman who resided nearby. In 1895 the community had a population of forty, and by 1896 it had a general store. Its post office closed in 1902. In 1904 the Gill school district comprised four schools serving 275 black students and one school serving forty-four white students. Gill had an estimated population of ten and one business in 1933. During the mid-1940s the settlement had a school, two churches, two businesses, and an estimated population of twenty-five. Gill comprised a number of scattered dwellings along the highway in 1983, and by 1991 a church was still at the site.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Sallie M. Lentz, "GILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg11), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.