GRANT, TX (BURLESON COUNTY)
GRANT, TEXAS (Burleson County). Grant is on the west bank of the Brazos River thirteen miles east of Caldwell in eastern Burleson County. Settlement in the area began in the mid-1820s. After the Civil War the Grant family ran one of the largest plantations in the county on the site, amid the rich red alluvial soils of the Brazos bottoms. A number of Italian immigrants settled in this region of Burleson County in the early 1890s. The Grant settlement was founded in the late 1800s in the vicinity of the Grant plantation, and a post office was established in the community in 1896. In 1910 a thirty-mile levee was constructed along the river east of town to prevent flooding, but it was virtually destroyed in a deluge in 1913. In 1918 the town's post office was discontinued. Farm Road 50 was built through the settlement in the mid-twentieth century. Grant's population in 1933 was an estimated seventy-five, and one business was reported there. By 1945 the community's population had fallen to an estimated thirty, and it remained at this level in 1948, the last year for which statistics are available.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "GRANT, TX (BURLESON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg25), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.