GRAVIS, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)
GRAVIS, TEXAS (Williamson County). Gravis was a farming community on Dry Berry Creek some five miles southwest of Jarrell in northwestern Williamson County. The community had a post office, blacksmith shop, store, and school at the end of the 1800s. When the post office opened there in 1895, two names were proposed for the community: Cross Roads or Wyatt's Ville (the latter after Collin Dennis Wyatt, the local saddle and harness maker, storekeeper, and first postmaster). The postal officials rejected these names, and the post office and community were named for John A. Gravis, the original land grantee. The Gravis post office closed in 1904. By 1948 Gravis was not shown on the county highway map.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "GRAVIS, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg40), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles