GILFORD, TEXAS. Gilford, eighteen miles southeast of Center in southeastern Shelby County, received a post office in 1876, with Gilford D. Reynolds as postmaster. In 1884 Gilford's population was estimated at thirty. Its post office closed in 1887, and no further information is available about the community. It is not shown on the 1936 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "GILFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg48), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.