GALENA, TEXAS. Galena is on Farm Road 1995 seven miles west of Mount Sylvan in extreme western Smith County. The settlement was granted a post office in 1892, with Andrew J. Green as first postmaster; the post office was moved to Garden Valley in 1899. By 1936 the Elm Grove elementary school had opened at Galena, and three teachers taught 116 white students, while thirty-two black children were not enrolled. At that time there were also ten farms, a factory, and one additional business in the area along the highway and a graded and drained metal-surfaced road. By 1952 Galena's school had been consolidated into the Lindale Independent School District. Maps show a cemetery in Galena in 1965, and the area was sparsely inhabited in 1973. Galena was still shown on the 1981 county highway map.
"Post Offices and Postmasters of Smith County, Texas: 1847–1929," Chronicles of Smith County, Spring 1966. "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "GALENA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg67), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles