GRANGERLAND, TEXAS. Grangerland is located on Farm Road 3083 about thirty miles north of Houston and ten miles southeast of Conroe in east central Montgomery County. In the early 1900s settlers in this region farmed cotton and, with limited lumber production, utilized the area's timber resources. The first successful oil well in late 1931 ushered in an oil boom and resulted in the opening of the Conroe Oilfield. In 1932 early settler and landowner Don D. Granger began constructing thirty-two houses to serve the influx of oil field workers. This growing development was named Granger's Camp. Over the years a network of paved roads also facilitated growth, and as more workers and oil companies came into the area the camp grew to include a store, community center, and several churches in the 1940s and 1950s. The town became known as Grangerland, and though the boom settled down the oil industry as well as a timber industry continued to support the community. In the 1970s and 1980s the construction of several subdivisions signified Grangerland's role as a bedroom community for commuters to Houston and Conroe. Residents considered incorporation but apparently never pursued the matter. No population estimates were available in 1990 or 2000.
Montgomery County Genealogical Society, Montgomery County History (Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "GRANGERLAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg81), accessed July 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.