GADSTON, TEXAS. Gadston, formerly called Gadsden, is a farming community at the intersection of State Highway 24 and Farm Road 1184, just north of the North Sulphur River and ten miles south of Paris in extreme south central Lamar County. The Gadsden post office opened in 1891, and when it closed in 1893 it was still the only nonresidential establishment at the site. The settlement survived, however, because of its location on the main road from Paris to Cooper. By 1936 the community had two businesses, a church, and a cluster of dwellings. Local children attended school within the Delmar Independent School District by 1957. In 1964 Gadston had a cluster of dwellings near the highway crossroads, and in the early 1980s there were two businesses at the site.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "GADSTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrgvp), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.