HALBERT, TEXAS. Halbert, sixteen miles southeast of Center in southeastern Shelby County, was founded about 1890 and named for a local family. A post office was established there in 1899 with Theodore Allen as postmaster. It closed in 1907. The community's population was reported at forty from the late 1930s through the early 1960s, the only period for which population estimates were available. The community was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "HALBERT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh04), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles