HANOVER, TEXAS. Hanover is at the intersection of Farm roads 2095 and 3242, ten miles southeast of Cameron in eastern Milam County. Local sources claim that in the 1880s this location was the site of the Swedenborg Settlers colony, an experiment in community living somewhat like La Réunion. When the venture failed, most of the participants dispersed. Hanover, which was granted a post office in 1890, may have been named by German settlers for their former home. The community had a gristmill and gin, a general store, and twenty-five residents by 1892. In 1903 Hanover was served by the Prairie Point schools, which had two teachers for sixty-nine white students and two teachers for eighty-nine black students. The schools were consolidated with the Liberty school district in 1920 and with the Milano school district in 1931. The Hanover post office was discontinued in 1906. A church and a business at the community were marked on 1988 county highway maps, and twenty-seven residents were reported in 2000.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HANOVER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh09), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles