HEMMING, TEXAS. Hemming, 15½ miles south of Gainesville in extreme southern Cooke County, was established in 1889. It was named for Gainesville banker C. C. Hemming, who in 1890 donated land for a school there. A store and cotton gin were built at Hemming in 1894, and that year a post office opened in the store, with W. J. Pipkin as first postmaster. The Hemming post office closed in 1905, and rural free delivery came from Pilot Point. In 1900 B. R. Newton opened a general store at the community, and in 1905 Emberson and Alexander opened another. At its height just after 1900, Hemming had two general stores, a school, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, three churches, and a population of 125. In 1912 a Woodmen of the World camp was organized there and a second floor was added to the school building for a lodge hall. The town served as the region's cotton-processing center, and during the peak years of the cotton boom after 1900 the Hemming cotton gin handled 1,000 to 1,500 bales annually. The town's prosperity, however, was short-lived. A tornado hit the community on April 27, 1907, killing seven people and wiping out all but one of the town's buildings. Though several of its buildings were rebuilt, by the early 1920s Hemming was in decline. Its cotton gin closed in 1922. In 1929 the Hemming school was consolidated with the Mount Olive, Oak Hill, Bloomfield, and Walling schools to form the Union Grove school district. The Hemming schoolhouse was dismantled, and the materials were used in the new Union Grove building. Hemming's Methodist church members became affiliated with the Valley View congregation in 1934, and by 1936 Hemming comprised a church and a few scattered dwellings. In 1947 the community reported a population of around ten. By the late 1980s the town was no longer shown on county highway maps.
Gainesville Daily Register, Centennial Edition, August 30, 1948.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Odessa Morrow Isbell, "HEMMING, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh27), accessed February 07, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles