HOLLIS, TEXAS. Hollis, off Farm Road 1452 ten miles west of Madisonville in Madison County, was established in 1881 by three Hollis brothers-Charles, Tom, and William-who had moved there from Louisiana. A post office operated at the community from 1883 to 1906. In 1884 Hollis had a population of fifty, several cotton gins, and two steam gristmills. It also had three general stores and a drugstore, in which the owner, Plummer Taylor, also gave haircuts. Hollis reported a population of 106 in the early 1900s. A school was built at the community in 1910, and homemaking and manual training were among the subjects taught there. The school was soon closed and converted into a Methodist church. In 1912 the church was moved to North Zulch. During the 1930s a school and a number of scattered dwellings marked the Hollis site on county highway maps. When the Burlington and Rock Island Railroad was built to the west of Hollis, many Hollis residents moved to North Zulch to be near the railway. Hollis was still shown on the 1983 county highway map.
Madison County Historical Commission, A History of Madison County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ellen C. Short, "HOLLIS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh39), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles