HOYTE, TEXAS. Hoyte, formerly known as Cone's Switch or Arcadia, is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line and U.S. Highway 190, six miles southeast of Cameron in central Milam County. Around 1900 John B. McLane gave land to the railroad for a passing track and a wood-loading spur. For a time the community was a flag stop on the rail line and had a small depot. A post office opened at Hoyte in 1904 but was discontinued in 1907. In 1941 a school and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps. Hoyte had twenty residents in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HOYTE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh42), accessed July 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.