HUGHEY, TEXAS. Hughey, on State Highway 42 and Farm Road 1252, six miles southwest of Longview in central Gregg County, was established around 1850. The small settlement boomed briefly in the 1930s after oil was discovered in the East Texas oilfield. At one time Hughey had a school, a Baptist church, and several stores. The community later declined, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered dwellings remained at the site.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HUGHEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh46), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.