HARTZO, TEXAS. Hartzo, eighteen miles northeast of Jefferson in northeastern Marion County, was probably named for Daniel Hartzo or the Hartzo family, who owned the land grant on which it was situated. A post office opened there in 1894, and in 1896 Hartzo had a population of thirty and a general store run by S. P. Smith. The Guy Hartzo school had seventeen pupils and one teacher in 1899. The community's post office closed in 1905, and by the 1930s Hartzo had apparently disappeared as a named community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "HARTZO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh64), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.