HORN, TEXAS. Horn is fifteen miles north of Merkel in Jones County. Edgar Boaz, one of the first landowners in the area, was joined by R. R. Horn, D. C. Herring, and John Womack on December 6, 1890. The first school was taught in 1906 by Mary Barkley of Commerce in a one-room, twenty-by-forty-foot box house on the Boaz ranch. Thirty students attended this first school. On November 10, 1910, Herring deeded four acres for school purposes, on which a two-room school called Horn District 52 was built. The Baptist church at Horn was formed in 1911 and met in the new schoolhouse. The first pastor, a Mr. Robinett from Union, was largely responsible for organization of the church. A new building, called Amity Baptist Church, also on Horn land, was dedicated in 1924 and continued until 1970. Horn District 52 and Crossroads District 22 were consolidated in 1935 to form Noodle-Horn District 74, which was consolidated with the Anson Independent School District in 1973. An oil well produced for several years on the grounds of the church and school. Horn was known for its progressive and industrious farmers and for the productive black farmland that bordered the Clear Fork of the Brazos River.
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.