JAMES, TX (SHELBY COUNTY)
JAMES, TEXAS (Shelby County). James, six miles northeast of Center on State Highway 7 in northeastern Shelby County, was probably established around 1890. It was named for James Rushing, who served as postmaster when the community post office was in operation from 1901 to 1905. In 1938 the community had a school that served a district with fifty-one students; around this time the town also reported one rated business and an estimated population of forty-five. In 1988 James had two churches, two businesses, and scattered residences.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "JAMES, TX (SHELBY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj03), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles