KEY, TEXAS. Key is at the junction of U.S. Highway 180 and Farm Road 178, twelve miles east of Lamesa in east central Dawson County. It had a population of ten and three businesses in 1930. The Key Baptist Church was consolidated with the Pioneer Bethany and Mount Olive churches in 1914. After a church fire in 1923 part of the church community moved three miles south to build the Midway Baptist Church, while the remaining congregation built a new church at Key, which was expanded in 1948. In 1947 Key had a school, a church, five businesses, and seventy-five people. The population was seventy-five in 1950 and forty in 1980. In 1990 it was reported as twenty. The population remained the same in 2000.
Mathew Clay Lindsey, The Trail of Years in Dawson County (Fort Worth: Wallace, 1958?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "KEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrk09), accessed September 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.