KAFFIR, TX (SCHLEICHER COUNTY)
KAFFIR, TEXAS (Schleicher County). Kaffir was sixteen miles west of Eldorado in western Schleicher County. In 1906 local residents opened the Elder School, so called because of its location on the Elder ranch; its name was changed to Kaffir School in 1910, when a new building was constructed at a different site. A local post office operated from 1915 to 1921; William M. Smith was the first postmaster. The school and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s. The Kaffir school was grouped with several other districts in 1947 to form the Schleicher County Rural High School District. No evidence of Kaffir was shown on the 1985 county highway map.
Schleicher County Historical Society, A History of Schleicher County (San Angelo: Anchor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "KAFFIR, TX (SCHLEICHER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrkpz), accessed November 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles