LUNA, TEXAS. Luna was at the intersection of Farm roads 489 and 1451 in Freestone County. On December 22, 1826, empresario David G. Burnet received a contract to colonize this area; he later sold his interest in this land venture to the Galveston Bay and Texas Land Company. On July 25, 1835, this company granted a league of land to Gertrudis Luna, after whom the community was eventually named. It is not known whether Gertrudis Luna ever resided in the community. The first record of settlers moving into the area was in 1850, when the Baty and Philpott families arrived. The Ezell and McSwaine families arrived around 1855 from Lauderdale County, Alabama. The first public building in Luna was a combination church and school, built in 1866 at the site of what is now the Antioch Cemetery. Land for the church and school was donated by Rich Driver, Sr., and Edward Ezell. By 1884 Luna had 100 residents, a gin, a gristmill, a school, and three churches. A post office opened there in 1880 and closed in 1907, when mail was diverted to nearby Teague. The railroad built through the area in 1906, but it bypassed Luna. In 1910 the town had 250 residents and a general store, a doctor's office, a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin, and a steam gristmill. A one-room school served as many as ninety students by 1915. The economy of the town centered around cotton and corn. After World War I area lands were consolidated for ranching. Without a rail system and with a decline in the farm economy, people began moving from Luna. By the late 1980s only a few houses and the Antioch Cemetery, about two miles south of the crossroads, remained.
Mary Whatley Clarke, David G. Burnet (Austin: Pemberton Press, Jenkins, 1969). Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978). Virginia H. Taylor, The Spanish Archives of the General Land Office of Texas (Austin: Lone Star, 1955).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Bobby Ezell, "LUNA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl73), accessed February 11, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles