LONGLEAF, TEXAS. Longleaf was sixteen miles southwest of San Augustine and twenty-eight miles southeast of Nacogdoches in southwestern San Augustine County. It was granted a post office in 1886 and by 1890 had an estimated twenty-five inhabitants, a general store, and a gin and sawmill. In 1896 an estimated sixty people lived in Longleaf, and the community had a general store, a flour and saw mill and gin, and Baptist, Methodist, and Christian churches. The Longleaf post office was closed in 1897, and by the 1930s the community was no longer shown on the county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "LONGLEAF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl82), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.