LOMAX, TX (HOWARD COUNTY)
LOMAX, TEXAS (Howard County). Lomax is at the intersection of Farm Road 818 and a country road, some sixteen miles southwest of Big Spring near the southwestern corner of Howard County. In 1923 Louis Lomax established a ranch on the site of the community. Soon after, the Lomax School was built to serve children from area farms and ranches. By the 1940s the community consisted of a school, a business, and a gin. The school was consolidated with that of Stanton in 1955, and the two-room schoolhouse was converted into a community center. During the 1960s the community had a number of scattered dwellings. By the 1980s a nearby refinery was processing oil from the Wilkinson oilfield. Lomax had an estimated 500 inhabitants in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.
History of Howard County, 1882–1982 (Big Spring, Texas: Howard County Historical Commission, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "LOMAX, TX (HOWARD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlma), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.