MUD, TEXAS. Mud was a rural community on the Colorado River near Farm Road 2322 sixteen miles northwest of Austin in western Travis County. A post office was established there in 1887 with James E. Maxey as postmaster. The community took its name from the moist lowlands along the river. In the 1890s it reported a general store and ten residents. By 1913 the post office had moved to a site about three miles northeast of its first location. The office was discontinued in 1934, and mail for the community was sent to Spicewood in Burnet County. The population of Mud was estimated at 100 in 1914 but had fallen to forty by 1939. No evidence of the community was shown on county highway maps in the late 1940s. In the 1980s the former townsite was within the boundaries of Pace Bend Park.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MUD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm61), accessed August 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.