MONTEREY, TX (MARION COUNTY)
MONTEREY, TEXAS (Marion County). Monterey is on Monterey Lake eighteen miles northeast of Jefferson by the Louisiana state line in northeastern Marion County. According to one source Monterey, as part of the Neutral Ground, was a haven for fugitives in the 1840s. The community was certainly settled by 1848, when a Monterey Masonic lodge was organized on the site. The first post office in the community was called Point Monterey and operated from 1851 to 1867. A second post office, called Old Monterey, opened in 1878, and in 1884 Old Monterey had an estimated population of thirty inhabitants. In 1961 the community was identified as Monterey on government survey maps and had a number of scattered dwellings beside the lake. In 1983 the community was no longer identified on state highway maps.
Jefferson Jimplecute, June 17, 1965.