MOORE'S CROSSING, TX
MOORE'S CROSSING, TEXAS. Moore's Crossing is a community near Farm Road 973 nine miles southeast of Austin in southeastern Travis County. The location was used as a low-water crossing of Onion Creek as early as the 1840s but did not receive its current name until the early 1900s, when John B. Moore built a store in the area. In 1915 part of the original Congress Avenue bridge from Austin was used to replace the low-water crossing on Onion Creek, but a flood washed it out later that year. The rest of the Congress Avenue bridge was used to rebuild the bridge on Onion Creek in 1922. A few scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s; the population was reported at twenty-five in 1941. The bridge at Moore's Crossing, which has received a Texas Historical Commission marker, was closed in the 1990s. The community continued to report a population of twenty-five through 2000.
Austin History Center Files.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MOORE'S CROSSING, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmae), accessed October 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.