MOUNT OLIVE, TEXAS (Smith County). Mount Olive was a small school community on Highway 14 two miles north of Tyler State Park in northern Smith County. In 1936 it had a school, a business, and three or four scattered farms. The Mount Olive school included two levels, both for black students: an elementary school with two teachers and 160 pupils, and a high school with two teachers and forty-five pupils. By 1952 the school had been consolidated into the Winona Independent School District. After that, the community disappeared from Smith County records and maps.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
Vista K. McCroskey
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.