MUD CREEK, TX
MUD CREEK, TEXAS. Mud Creek, also known as Cornell, was a rural ranch community on Mud Creek four miles north of U.S. Highway 90 and sixteen miles northwest of Brackettville in west central Kinney County. The community was established sometime in the 1880s, and in 1896 thirty-two students attended the one-teacher Cornell School there. The school was probably named after James Cornell, who served as Kinney county school-fund treasurer in 1884. In the early 1900s a black family by the name of Randus operated a large irrigation farm in the area and built a small school, called Mud Creek, on the perimeter of their land for the black children in the community. In 1908 six pupils attended the Mud Creek Colored School, and two pupils attended the Mud Creek White School (probably the original Cornell School). The Mud Creek Colored School operated until 1916 and the Mud Creek White School until 1931, after which students were bused to schools in Brackettville. Though the Mud Creek School is evident on the 1946 county highway map, the community appears to have been abandoned. The Mud Creek Cemetery was shown on the 1989 county highway map.
Kinney County: 125 Years of Growth, 1852–1977 (Brackettville, Texas: Kinney County Historical Society, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "MUD CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmfd), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.