NEWSOM, TEXAS. Newsom was a farming community ten miles northeast of Gilmer on State Highway 155 in northeastern Upshur County. The community, named for an area family, developed around a school established sometime after 1900. By the mid-1930s Newsom had the school and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with that of Coffeeville and later with that of Ore City. At various times several stores operated in the area. By the mid-1960s, however, all that remained of the community was a few widely scattered dwellings. In the late 1980s Newsom was no longer shown on highway maps.
Doyal T. Loyd, A History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "NEWSOM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrnxb), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.