OAK GROVE, TX (TARRANT COUNTY)
OAK GROVE, TEXAS (Tarrant County). Oak Grove is a farm community on Farm Road 1187 eight miles from Fort Worth in south central Tarrant County. In 1866 three brothers, all Confederate veterans from Kentucky, settled the area. The house of one of the three, Robert Wickliffe Tye, still stood in 1990. In 1873 a post office branch opened at the site, which the brothers named Oak Grove because of the numerous oak trees. In 1885 the tracks of the Missouri Pacific reached the area. Early in the twentieth century, however, the railroad discontinued its trains through the community. In 1901 the post office closed. The Oak Grove population never exceeded fifty, and by the early 1940s the community had all but disappeared. A 1963 map of the area shows a dozen scattered dwellings, a church, a cemetery, and the nearby Oak Grove Airfield. In 1987 Oak Grove was a suburb of Fort Worth and had a dozen residential streets.
Historic Resources Survey: Selected Tarrant County Communities (Fort Worth: Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County, 1990).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "OAK GROVE, TX (TARRANT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hro02), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.