OLLIE, TEXAS. Ollie is on Farm Road 942, ninety miles north of Houston in central Polk County. The first recorded settlement in the area came in 1865, when Nelson Henry Rice and his family moved to the site, halfway between the neighboring communities of Leggett and Hortense. Early residents referred to the new community as Rice, and a school and church were organized to serve the surrounding farms. However, when the community secured a post office in 1901 the establishment was named Ollie, presumably after a female member of the Rice family. David A. Rice served as the first postmaster. A small sawmill community named Kirkpatrick was established near Ollie by 1909. The Ollie settlement subsequently lost its post office and by the late 1940s had disappeared from lists of Texas towns. Only scattered residences remain. In 2000 the population was five.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "OLLIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hro16), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.